Sep 26, 2013

TV Series: Pilot Episode Reviews Part II

In the part I, I reviewed three pilots: The Blacklist, Sleepy Hollow & Masters of Sex. As promised, this one includes pilot episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

So, here we go:

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | premiered on Sept. 24

This is a very first TV Show of Marvel which has already proved to be the best in superhero movies. Series with lots of superheros sounds great, imagine The Avengers lasting for years. It can be awesome and interesting, if writers manage to write interesting script, but if they fail, it can become a nightmare.

Pilot episode was good one. It introduces special government unit S.H.I.E.L.D., who hunt for super powered people and the same time we meet one of superheros, who is unaware how to use powers. The good thing is that, we don't actually know whether agents of government are good ones, or bad ones. They just hunt, however they can be people saving lives of others. It means that there is tones of job for writers to do in succeeding episodes. Whole 45 minutes are quite tense, sometimes funny and entertaining. But it mostly lacks descent characters, since most of them are in a shape of well known cliches. It seems writers took an example of average agent in movies and copied them, however superheros seem to be even worse. Accordingly there is no much character developments or twists in pilot, which I consider to be essential in the first episode.

If the show goes the same way, it's not going to work, everybody will get a little bored soon. However Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has a lot potential, even to be this years one of the bests. I believe that sometimes pilots don't really say what show can do. A good first episode is no guarantee for successful follow up and vice verse.

The cast is good, not best but they have enough talent to act in superhero series. Cobie Smulders, who is great in How I Met Your Mother, had a promising appearance in pilot. However, I more enjoyed with Chloe Bennet's performance, whose character Skaye is interesting material for acting. She's got a funny and very important scene of questioning agent Grant Ward, which helps to start divining them. Male cast members are just OK, they do their job so that there is no much to complain about.

As a matter of fact, I found the show entertaining, so I'll keep watching it until I hate it.

If you are Marvel fan, it's a MUST, if not, you still should check this out:
Pilot rating: 8/10
Series rating: 8/10

Labels:

2 Comments:

At Oct 7, 2013, 5:46:00 AM , Anonymous ruth said...

Glad you enjoyed Skye more, I quite like her but Agent Ward is still very wooden. Yeah I'm still curious to see more episodes at this point, we'll see if I'll see it through 'til the end of season 1.

 
At Oct 7, 2013, 10:08:00 AM , Anonymous Nika said...

Absolutely agree, it has my attention, but I don't know for how long.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home