Oct 23, 2012

Movies That Feel Nice To Watch

Today I refreshed my rating list on IMDB and remembered some old or new movies that I like to watch. Most of them are not masterpieces, most even have not made a cut for any award but still I used to re-watch it plenty of times.

Now I'll share this list to everyone:


Though I've seen most of Cohen Brothers movies and liked majority, I still believe this is one of the best works of their. That sometimes shows me up as a `stupid` movie geek compared with other film lovers who don't appreciate this comedy.

Frankly, I don't give a damn.* 

This is one of the most delightful comedies made last twenty years. The movie has brilliant cast, including Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, John Malkovich, Richard Jenkins and others. They all act the exact manner they do it generally. 
There is something special about Cohens' sense of humor that ties me up when I watch Burn After Leading. I may not burst out laughing but I do enjoy it. 

Crash (2004)


Crash is probably the highest hated Oscar winner of all time, just following Shakespeare In Love. The reason for hatreds is mostly driven by great love and support for Brokeback Mountain, which lost best picture nomination to Crash in 2005.

Sorry to Brokeback Mountain fans, but Crash is much more better movie than Ang Lee's heartbreaking drama. In dramatic sense it's harder to watch and then forget because it tells stories of very common people who live around us. Paul Haggis talks about the problems that are visible and invisible the same time - we know it, but we don't see them.

Some of the stories really make me feel bad emotionally when I realize that they are so much real that it can happen quite next door to me. But still there is no obvious reason why I like watching this film over and over. It just feels right.

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Two times Oscar winner Kevin Spacey can be a reason why I found this movie so much charming. I don't have much curiosity about crime movies but this one is original. The movie starts from one point, goes in particular direction and ends up with the less unlike story.

Kevin won his first trophies for portraying Keyser Soze - a legendary mastermind invisible criminal and writer Christopher McQuarrie accepted his only Oscar for inventing perfect tidings to tell.


Tangled (2010)

A very funny and beautiful Disney animation that I believe to be underestimated by most of Award ceremonies. There is no much animations that make you laugh every time you watch.

Even though the story is not original, there is a lot to entertain the jokes, the characters and fancy memories of tales you've been told in childhood.

Tangled got the only nomination for Best Original Song but lost to Toy Story 3.

Mrs. Doubtfire (1993)

If I can call any film my childhood one, one of them definitely would be Mrs. Doubtfire - a really good family movie with an amazing cast. Robbin Williams is legend as a comedic actor and I've used to love him since childhood. However Sally Field was always associated with cruel and dumb mother, at least before I saw her other movies and realized that Miranda was just her onscreen character : )

I've not seen the movie for ages, probably more than half an year. But sooner or later I'll go back to it and likely watch it with my younger sister just the same way we used to couple of years ago.

Mrs. Doubtfire won Makeup nomination at Oscars for transferring Daniel Hillard to Mrs Euphegenia Doubtfire.

Pretty Woman (1990)

No matter how many years pass, Julia Roberts will always remind me pretty woman, and pretty woman will always remind me Julia Roberts. No matter how many characters will be portrayed by Julia in the future, she will always be Vivien.

I can be the greatest fan of Roberts and accordingly I love any movie of hers, especially this one because she was so young, gorgeous and "fresh" at the beginning of 90s. Unfortunately she is more busy with off-screen activities lately and the only way to refresh a fan's memory is actor's old films.

This is a quite short list of my favorite and less acclaimed movies that make me feel really nice to watch over and over again. I can find tens of more films I'd love to talk about but those 6 are enough for now.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home